Katherine over at Having Left the Altar was kind enough to give me the Liebster Award.
The Liebster Award is for bloggers with less than 200 followers. Liebster is a German word meaning dearest. The award is given to up-and-coming bloggers who deserve recognition and support to keep on blogging.
Here are the “rules”:
1. Answer the 11 questions given to you
2. Create 11 new questions for the bloggers you nominate for the award.
3. Choose 5* bloggers with 200 or less followers to nominate.
(I’m abbreviating a bit to try and avoid tag-backs)
(I’m abbreviating a bit to try and avoid tag-backs)
4. Go to each blogger’s page and let them know about the award.
5. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog!
Here were Katherine’s questions for me:
1. If you could choose another name for yourself, what would it be and why?
You know, I’ve thought a lot about this because I love names. At this point in my life for my first name, I’d probably pick my confirmation name: Juliana in honor of St Juliana Falconieri who rebelled from her parents by creating her own religious order. I’ve always liked the name and I guess that’s why I would choose it. (Sorry, not very deep there.) Middle name is tougher: I narrowed it down to Mary for the Blessed Mother, Bernadette for Bernadette of Lourdes whose story was a favorite from my childhood, or Hedwig because I like it and it’s different. And it sounds cool and happens to be a saint name.
2. What is your favorite book you are least happy to tell others about?
This is an interesting question. Thinking now, as a teenager, I became a huge fan of Ayn Rand but I guess I don’t like telling people about it because a) I couldn’t fully comprehend Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead the first times I read them (and I own Anthem but have no recollection of reading it). b) It’s safe to say I might have missed the point the first read-throughs. c) I never went back and re-read them, I’m afraid I’d be too disappointed now. d) OHMYGRACIOUSITSANATHEISTTOME I should just go re-read them. After all, if Rush could devote an entire album to Rand’s work and then Geddy Lee come back and say, “Psych! I’m a Christian now,” maybe I’m not so terrible.
3. What is your favorite season and why?
Autumn, hands down. And I don’t like calling it fall. My birthday happens then as does Halloween which is my favorite holiday and my favorite holy day of obligation All Saints Day and a whole day devoted to giving thanks. Let’s see, there is football and the State Fair and bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils. Root vegetables and honey crisp apples and pumpkin EVERYTHING. Yep, it’s autumn (which I just spelled a-u-t-i-s-m…wow)
4. What is your favorite thing to wear and why?
Pajama pants. Because they are comfortable honestly.
5. What is your favorite prayer/devotion?
I have to say this one is particularly apt for me right now.
Take Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. Thou hast given all to me. To Thee, O lord, I return it. All is Thine, dispose of it wholly according to Thy will. Give me Thy love and thy grace, for this is sufficient for me.
Ignatius of Loyola wrote that. For someone who prays for acceptance of the divine Will of God, for HIS will, not mine, be done daily, yep, this is one is just about perfect.
6. Where do you like to eat out best?
Wherever someone else is paying haha. Seriously though, for fast food we are huge fans of Chick-fil-A because a) it’s good food and b) it’s Christian owned-operated. For a sit-down meal, hmmm, Szechuan 132 in Wilmington is the best Chinese in the entire world and is Catholic-owned and very family-friendly while still being world-class food and atomosphere. Never once have my kids been made to feel that they are causing a ruckus. No, the owner welcomes them and the staff is amazing! And they even serve Jeff an old dish they’ve taken off the menu because they are just awesome like that! I tend to be a huge fan of local businesses rather than chains, so I’m happy to give them this shout-out!
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Wow, um, where would I not go? 😉 Wow, it’s hard to narrow it down. Right now London has a huge chunk of my heart because it is the home of my dear friend Tim whose heart is as big as the ocean that separates him and our family and it is home to Selfridge and Co (new obsession, Mr Selfridge from Masterpiece). We are hoping to take Shelby on the Camino through France and Spain. Of course, Rome and Italy. We’ve had a strong pull to Poland, Russia and Armenia as well. Our goals for Shelby include having her travel the world with us. So, we’re going to see as much as we can!
8. If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be?
Whose living now? Pope Francis and Pope-Emeritus Benedict. Hands down. How blessed is the Church to have TWO such humble and gracious servants leading her people?! Of the deceased, of course Jesus. And Simon Peter.
9. What kind of books do you like best?
Another loaded question ;). I like literary novels and non-fiction. Non-fiction is kind of broad but I like both memoir and science related books the best.
10. If you could recommend one current TV show or film, what would it be?
Call the Midwife. It’s 1950s London’s East End. It’s young women midwives, it’s nuns, it’s giving birth, it’s PBS/BBC (and bonus: Mr. Selfridge is on right after, I am having no trouble waiting for Sherlock and Downton to come back…in fact I have to catch up on those!)
Honorable Mention: Reign. The French Court when Mary, Queen of Scots was there was never more awesome.
11. Favorite card game?
I don’t play cards. My family does, but not me. On my mom’s side they are fond of Pounce and Euchre. On my Dad’s side, Pitch. I can’t remember the rules of any games except Go Fish or War 🙂
Now 11 Questions: hmmm
1. What is your favorite cuisine?
2. What is your favorite book of the Bible?
3. What is your favorite Bible verse?
4. What is your favorite color?
5. What is the best way to spend “found money?”
6. What is the best way to spend “found time?”
7. What is the grossest/weirdest food you’ve ever tried? Did you like it?
8. What is your favorite holiday tradition? (Can be any holiday!)
9. What state would you like to visit?
10. What are your feelings on buzzfeed quizzes?
11. What is your favorite social media outlet?
Now, for my nominees (and I’ve probably nominated some before so just visit them again!)
1. Maria at Four Blessings Academy. Maria hosts a beautiful meme called Light in Darkness and shares her beautiful life, faith and family.
2. Maurisa at Half A Dozen and More Productions. She has a very thoughtful but also fun blog.
3. Priest’s Wife at Fear Not Little Flock. Read her, it is fascinating to learn about our Eastern Rite bretheren, especially as they will continue to get more attention during Pope Francis’ papacy.
4. Sonya at Glam-O-Mommy. I love her adorable Sophie and stories and she has some awesome adventures I like to live vicariously through!
5.And I have no idea how many followers this blog has, but I really think more people would benefit from Pelianito Journal Blog.
No one is under any obligation to do any of this, I just thought it was fun.